Ho Chi Minh City is located in a special geographical position, converging many favorable conditions for the economic development. Since olden time, the City has been a key strategic area of the South, a dense and prosperous trade center of exchange with foreigners.
Ho Chi Minh City at A Glance - 2008
- Area: 2,095 km2
- Administrative structure: 24 districts
- Registered resident: 6.840 million
- Unregistered resident: 30%
- Non-resident: 500 thousand
- GDP: 17.55 billion USD
- GDP growth rate: 10.7%
- GDP per capita: 2,500 USD
- Unemployment rate: 5.4%
- FDI inflow: 8.8 billion USD
- Export: 30.2 billion USD
- International visitors: 2.8 million
Goals for 2009
- Economic growth of at least 10%.
- Total revenues of VND122,327 billion (US$7.02 billion) with export revenues increasing by 16.5%.
- City Budget Expenditure totals VND21,898 billion, including VND7,222 billion or 32.98% invested in development projects.
- CPI rises by less than 15%.
- 55% of the workforce is trained, 270,000 more jobs are created and unemployment is cut to 5.3%.
- Public means of transport are used 480 million times.
- 95% of environment polluters are penalized and 100% of industrial zones and export processing zones are equipped with waste water treatment systems.
An Economic Hub of the Nation
- The 9-million-people City is the biggest economic center of Vietnam
- Center of the Southern Key Economic Zone (50% of the country’s GDP, and 60% of the country’s FDI)
- Contributing 20% of the country’s GDP
- 100,000 companies (30% of Vietnam) registered in Ho Chi Minh City.
- The best infrastructure:
- Tan Son Nhat Airport: the biggest airport of the country, connect to 20 countries, 12.5 million passengers in 2008
- Saigon Ports: the biggest port system of the country, 54.2 million tons in 2008
- 1 high tech park, 2 software parks, 3 export processing zones, and 12 industrial parks
- First stock market, 47 foreign bank branches
- 3,000 foreign representative offices from 60 countries
- 41 universities, 29 colleges and 34 professional secondary with 500,000 students
- One stop shops for investors: DPI, ITPC
- Business registration on line
- Dialog On-line: 42 government authorities responsible for answering any enquiry from businesses within 5 working days
- Reduction of procedures waiting time.
- Face-to-face meetings with foreign investors, business consultants and attorneys regularly and per request.
Ho Chi Minh City by 2020
- Government target: HCMC will turn into a 10-million population metropolitan characterized by hi-tech industries, high end services and scientific - technological research facilities catching up regional level
- GDP/capita US 6,000; economic structure : 60.4 % service, 39.2 % industry
- Housing demand: from 11.5 m2/person currently to 17 m2/person by 2020